Friday, March 31, 2023

Strawberry Jam and Good Memories

A gift of Florida strawberries prompted me to turn some of them into jam. The smell of sugar and berries, and the sound of jar lids popping this morning made me remember doing those things with my Mother, and the hot summer Memphis days in the kitchen when we canned fruits and vegetables from her garden. I hope my kids and grandchildren have the same kinds of happy thoughts about the things we do together. If you haven’t made a memory today, or pulled one out that makes you smile, maybe sharing this will help you to do that. Celebrating today with strawberry jam and good memories! I used the recipe from the Certo liquid fruit pectin package and 8 cups of sliced berries for 8 half pint jars of jelly and a little left over. I used my favorite recipe for homemade bread, Amish White Bread. It makes 2 9x5 inch loaves of bread. I use 1 cup of whole wheat flour instead of all white bread flour. It makes a loaf that is easy to slice and holds up well enough to use for a sandwich. It's also the perfect way to enjoy fresh strawberry jam.

No comments: